I started this quilt a couple-few years ago, never posted progress shots, barely mentioned it in a to finish list, then eventually quilted it, Instagrammed some shots and never blogged it.
Here’s my official record.
With the Fast Forward pattern from Julie Herman picked up at my local quilt shop, I paired it with a really cute jelly roll whose line I can’t remember. Also purchased at my local shop. Back in 2013.
I paired it with a brown solid, since I liked the dark effect on the pattern cover. I also had lots of brown to use.
For the back, I picked out a matching light blue, just to break up the brown.
Eventually I stared at it long enough to figure out how I wanted to quilt it. (that was last summer)
I used a dot to dot sort of technique, with radiating lines. I did mark main lines to the middle of the strips. In the print parts, I did a FMQ loop de loop.
Then I put it in my Etsy shop. It’s looking for a home.
I might make this again, but different, maybe a light background? There’s another pattern that looks similar, but the pieced prints and solids are reversed.
For finish it up Friday, I got the bonding all done on this quilt. It’s now taking a spin in the wash. I always wash and dry the baby quilts then check them over for loose threads and any place where I did a lousy job seaming.
I’m really happy with how this one turned out. I’ve been working on piecing accuracy and undoing some bad habits I picked up over the years, like pulling the fabric taut while I sew. This causes it to ripple on the edges when relaxed.
Here’s a shot of the back, upside down.
I went and bought all new fabrics for this one, from the same line. I don’t usually do that.
For this quilt, I purchased the PDF Colorblock Quilt pattern from www.bijoulovelydesigns.com. The pattern is really well written and super easy to follow, with loads of clear diagrams. Perfect for beginners, a breeze for more experienced quilters.
I also went to two different Etsy shops to get the right fabric – Mod Tod by Riley Blake, purchased from Fiber Textiles and 44th St Fabric. Both shops were fabulous and extremely helpful, and my orders (to Canada from the US arrived within two weeks and a day apart. I was impressed with both places. So impressed, I now read Bev’s blog from 44th St. Heh. (Hi Bev!)
I had to piece one of my fabric for the long strip, but I did it carefully in the print and you hardly notice. The piecing and cutting was done in maybe 3.5 hours, while I watched episodes of Dr. Who on Netflix. About half the time was ironing, because I did follow the advice the iron seams open. The white I used for sashing is poly cotton, so somewhat sheer and I knew the seams from the darker fabric would show.
The only issue I had is something I consistently have with long strips – running out of strip at the end of the seam. However much I pin, the fabric still shifts. I could have used my walking foot, but it’s so noisy and goes slower. I guess I’ll know for next time.
One short sashing piece wound up just short enough it pulled out of the seam so I do have to make a small repair by removing the strip and sewing it back in.
Overall, I’m really happy with the pattern and the fabric – even if I did wind up getting the blocks reversed. The recipient will never know or care, it’s still a gorgeous quilt!
I’m not sure how I’ll quilt it yet, but I am open to suggestions. I’m thinking of leaving the narrow sashing unquilted. They wind up only 1″ wide. I’ll be using Hobb’s Warm and Natural cotton for the batting.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday.
Finally! Washed and crinkly, this quilt is so full of texture, I could just pet it all day.
I might have gone overboard with pictures. Now to deliver to my aunt for her new baby.