I have made this topper before, following the directions, for Christmas. It’s a great little topper for the middle of my table.
My mom liked it a lot, especially the size. So, while I was at her place sorting her fabric (I’m the best daughter ever) I pulled out three fabrics that I thought would look good.
So, even though I used the same Sticks and Stones pattern, I had to adjust it slightly for cutting the same pieces from yardage. You can be very efficient by cutting strips the width you need and not 5″ squares that would come in a charm pack.
I sewed it up on one of my mom’s machines and had it done by dinner. I did straight line quilting just in the cross sections.
And here’s the back.
You could easily use 3 fat quarters for this instead of a charm pack, with a fourth FQ for the backing.
A while back, I found a great quilt pattern in a magazine for 3 fast baby quilts from 3 one yard cuts of fabric. You can download the pattern here from Quiltmaker magazine.
I have made this a few times before, and it’s great to make baby quilts when there is a boom or just to have on hand for gifts. The finish up really fast and can get quilted in no time.
Well, in the company I work for we had babies popping out all over, so one day I grabbed three nice co-ordinating fabrics. I’m not sure of the line, since Mom bought them, but they had bunnies and carrots and garden implements. I also couldn’t find the pattern, but figured I could wing it from memory.
I cut the fabric wrong.
I did manage to get two quilt tops from it, which technically was what I needed. The inner square wound up smaller than it should have.
On one quilt, I did huge swooping feathers all around, with the baby name stitched in the center.
And of course I can’t find a picture of the second quilt, but it was similar to the one above, just different fabric placement. Edit: found some progress pictures from August 25th 2014!
The recipient of this particular one asked if I used some sort of pattern for the stitching design. He was floored when I said no – it was freehand!
Since I mis-cut fabrics, with the rest I simply cut them all into squares and laid them out with each print on the diagonal.
I know I’m using the same picture as the last entry, but you can see the baby quilt here, folded in half. I just did all over stippling on this one. It is currently without a home and I will likely list it in my Etsy shop.
I made this oversize single log cabin block quilt way back in May of 2012.
I just pulled pieces of kid prints from my stash and went to town, building up a block until it was a decent size. I did very little cutting of fabric.
This summer, I finally got around to quilting it. I backed it in a cheery dinosaur print and did an allover stipple. It was fast. Then I bound it in this great lime green solid.
You can buy this quilt in my Etsy shop too.